BY ANDREW DAVISON Staff Writer Aveteran lineup gives Middletown High School South soccer coach Tara Ernst assurance of surpassing last year’s five victories in her inaugural season as head coach there, and the team took its first solid step on Friday, Sept. 17, when it beat crosstown rival Middletown North, 3-0. “We played with a lot of heart. We played like a team,” said Ernst, as Middletown South raised its record to 1-2 after losing its opener to Howell, 4-0, and losing in overtime to Shore Regional, 2-1, when it lost a 1-0 lead with 15 minutes left. Lauren Van Exter, who had one shutout in goal while starting as a freshman last year, did not face many serious threats as Middletown South held a 22-4 edge in shots. Bridget Skinner, one of a number of promising sophomores on the team, who started at center midfield last season, scored the only goal needed at 37:20 on a volley from eight yards out off a header from junior outside midfielder Tara Cangelosi. Ashley Pankey, a sophomore forward, started the play with a throw-in. Sam Ciesmeleski, one of seven seniors on the roster, scored at the 48th minute when Cangelosi crossed the ball to the far post. Brenna Anderson, a senior center midfielder coming off ACL surgery who missed most of the preseason, capped the scoring at the 56th minute when she ran onto a ball sent by sophomore transfer Christine Anselmi. The teams split their two meetings last season, with Middletown South winning the second time, 4-0. Senior sweeper Annmarie Vuono, sophomore stopper Emily Murphy and outside backs senior Natalie Hayes and junior Laurelyn Guglielmo drew praise from Ernst for their defensive efforts in the victory, which is instrumental for the team’s ongoing success with big games coming up against Manalapan and Freehold Township in Shore Conference A North. “The main thing last season was not about positioning but kicking the ball away,” said Ernst, who lost only four players from last year’s team, all in support roles. “I said to them, ‘When you pass the ball, make it count.’ ” But Ernst said she is most pleased about the cohesion the team is showing. “They play well as a team. They control the ball more, and the captains are good at executing that,” said Ernst, referring to Anderson, Vuono and Hayes. Juniors Kelly McQuade at forward and Kira Jarostchuk at outside fullback have experience as starters last year, but Ernst said she also can turn to seniors Jackie Melore as a midfielder and forward, Bri Introcaso as a fullback, and Kristen Turkovic, who is getting back into playing shape from an injury.
Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City career got off to a winning start as they beat Sunderland 2-1 on Saturday but the Spaniard knows there is much work to do to build a title-winning team.Paddy McNair’s late own goal gave the hosts victory on the opening day of the Premier League season after Jermain Defoe’s Sunderland strike had cancelled out Sergio Aguero’s early penalty.City dominated possession but were short on the incisive attacking play that was a hallmark of Guardiola’s Barcelona and Bayern Munich teams.“Sometimes you are a little lucky,” City’s new manager told reporters. “We should have been a bit more aggressive but these kind of things have to happen to know how to get better in the next game.”The match was an intriguing glimpse into what the fans can expect from Guardiola.He showed his ruthlessness by dropping England goalkeeper Joe Hart to the bench and completely omitting Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure.“They are professionals,” Guardiola said, “and are going to fight for their places.”He acknowledged it would take time for City to adapt to his methods although there was evidence of a new approach.Captain David Silva started in a deeper midfield role from where he was expected to instigate attacking moves while the full backs came inside to congest the middle, in a similar way to Bayern under Guardiola.“I’m very pleased about the performance,” said the manager. “The second half we played really well.“Maybe we should attack quicker. We have to learn.”
Duterte lambasts Catholic Church anew in curse-laden speech before Filipino Baptists View comments Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Steaming fissures on Taal Volcano Island spotted ‘Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance PLAY LIST 01:30’Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award03:05Malakanyang bilib sa Phivolcs | Chona Yu01:26Homes destroyed after Taal Volcano eruption02:48ABS-CBN franchise has ‘natural deadline,’ no need for quo warranto — Gatchalian Game 3 hero Beau Belga. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines– Rain or Shine had another hot start, but this time managed to weather San Miguel Beer for a 112-104 decision Wednesday night in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup semifinals at Araneta Coliseum in Cubao.Beau Belga delivered in the clutch, assisting and scoring six of the Elasto Painters’ final 10 points that gave them a new lease on life in the best-of-five duel.ADVERTISEMENT MRT-3 files raps vs engineer who brought ammunition to station MOST READ OSG petition a ‘clear sign’ of gov’t bid to block ABS-CBN franchise renewal — solon LATEST STORIES Benefits of township living Sons Of Apollo releases new studio album ‘MMXX’ Bogues on Team USA pullouts: ‘l get some players feel like they’ve already done it’ “It’s a good win. We almost had another meltdown, got an 18-point lead in the first quarter. But like I said, it’s really hard playing against San Miguel. I’m just proud that we were not swept by a powerhouse team,” coach Caloy Garcia said, whose team is down 2-1.“We hope that we extend the series again and bring it to a Game 5.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsBelga finished with 16 points to go with import Carl Montgomery’s 25-point, 15-rebound performance that anchored Rain or Shine’s stand. Gabe Norwood tossed in 11, including the go-ahead triple in the final 1:14 of the contest.Despite Chris McCullough monster double-double of 51 points and 14 rebounds, the Beermen failed to complete the sweep for a finals berth. LOOK: LJ Reyes, Paolo Contis celebrate 1st birthday of baby Summer Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Alex Cabagnot and Christian Standhardinger chipped in 16 and 14 points, respectively, in the loss.Rain or Shine looks to extend the semis into a deciding Game 5 as it takes on the perennial powerhouse anew this Friday again at the Big Dome.POST-GAME INTERVIEW Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
Coomacka strikeFive days after commencing strike action over the deplorable state of the main access road, drivers operating in several mining areas across Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) are continuing their strike until their expectations are met.Residents continue their protest action over the deplorable state of the main access roadThe road users who traverse the Coomacka access road are adamant that they will not resume operations until the regional officials complete rehabilitation work from Coomacka to Yaribo. Works should also include the rehabilitation of collapsed bridges in several affected communities, they added.According to information reaching Guyana Times, Engineers from the Public Infrastructure Ministry and Regional Chairman Renis Morian are expected to meet with protesting residents and drivers on Monday.Linden Mayor Carwyn Holland, met with drivers and supporting members of the community on Thursday and promised to assist, through dialogue with the Regional Democratic Council (RDC), as well as to provide assistance with drainage in the community of Old England.Scores of residents, including school children from Three Friends, Coomacka, Nottinghamshire, Old England and Yaribo were left stranded over the course of almost a week due to the strike action. A resident of Coomacka told this publication that as a result, private vehicles are now being used to transport school children to school, however, only a few students were attending school.Meanwhile, The RDC and the Education Ministry have provided transportation for teachers residing in the affected areas. Although the community was gifted a school bus via the President’s 5B’s initiative, it remains grounded due to the state of the community’s access road.“Just a few children going down to Mackenzie (Linden) with private vehicles. Other passengers are going down the same way, but not much,” one resident told Guyana Times.“I’m not sure about the attendance at the primary and nursery today (Friday), but yesterday it was just a few children at both schools, mainly from our village (Coomacka),” the resident added.On Tuesday, a large group consisting of residents, drivers and school children met with the Regional Chairman in front of the office of the RDC in Linden, where they vented their frustration regarding the issue.According to the Regional Chairman, while work has commenced, the time frame for completion is uncertain.
Alan Pardew praised his young stars and new signings as Newcastle came good to beat Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 at White Hart Lane.The Magpies had been a goal down at half time following Emmanuel Adebayor’s back post header, but turned the game around with strikes from substitute Sammy Ameobi and Ayoze Perez.And Pardew was proud to reap the rewards as he put his some faith in his more inexperienced players in north London, who have had a steep learning curve coming into his previously struggling side.“We were fortunate to come in at 1-0 down and we weren’t very good,” the 53-year-old Toon boss told Stan Collymore on Sunday Exclusive.“In the second half we changed it. We opened up the game and the players were magnificent. This was an unbelievable result really. At half time you couldn’t have seen it happening.“We had belief. We’ve got young players who are learning their trade and I’m learning about them.“Foreign players, particularly coming in from French football, struggle a little bit because of the intensity and the demands. The demands to defend in this division are phenomenal.“If you’re a centre forward you can’t just hang around at the top of the pitch. You’ve got to really put a shift in, that’s something they’re learning but I’m pleased we’ve had some good performances from the new guys today.“Daryl Janmaat was brilliant today, as was Remy Cabella. Sammy Ameobi turned the game on its head with a great second half performance. We’ve got some real, real bonuses.”
Tim Sherwood believes Mauricio Pochettino will have to add ‘one or two’ £50million players to his Tottenham squad – but has praised the Argentine’s commitment to his young players.Spurs starlets Nabil Bentaleb and Ryan Mason shone during their recent 2-1 Premier League victory over Everton, and are expected to continue in Wednesday night’s clash at Chelsea.The north London club have been criticised for their poor purchases when they spent more than £100million in the summer of 2013, but Sherwood claims more is needed to help supplement some of the more talented youngsters at White Hart Lane.“If that crowd can stay behind those young boys then Tottenham can go to the next level,” he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show. “They can bring a lot of academy boys through, and then spend the £40-50m on one or two ‘make the difference’ players.“That’s the key. They have a nucleus of great young footballers, they just need to add a few good teachers in and around them.”Bentaleb and Mason look set to start at Stamford Bridge and Sherwood added the young pair will have no fear when facing Jose Mourinho’s side.“They won’t be fazed,” he continued. “I’ve known these boys since they were young kids. I’m immensely proud when I see those boys running out and playing as well as they have done. I have to give credit to Pochettino for that. He doesn’t pick reputations or price tags. He’s similar to myself and just picks them on the same level as everyone else.“They are getting in on merit, there’s no bias. If you’re good enough, you’re old enough.”You can listen to exclusive live national radio commentary of Chelsea v Tottenham only on talkSPORT
The Glenview Retail Park in Letterkenny.A retail park in Letterkenny has sold for just €360,000 at an Allsop auction.The Glenview Retail Park at Mountaintop includes a number of well-known businesses including Pello Haircare and Optimal Fitness.The premises, which has a reserve price of €250,000, offers 6 retails units, office space and a large gymnasium. 12 Manorview Park which was sold for €50,000.It was one of three Donegal properties to go under the hammer.The other two properties were two residential properties which also sold above their reserve asking prices.They were 13 Westside Apartments, Letterkenny, which had a reserve price of €15,000 but which sold for €30,000.A four bedroom house at 12 Manorview Park, Letterkenny sold for €50,000, again above its reserve price. DONEGAL RETAIL PARK SELLS FOR JUST €360K was last modified: July 3rd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Allsop AuctionsauctiondonegalGlenview retail Park
THE DAY A 70 YEAR OLD MACHINE GUN FIRED AGAIN – IN PICTURES! was last modified: November 13th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Bud WolfeInishowenIrish ArmySpitfire This week a machine gun recovered from the Spitfire found ditched in a bog in Moneydarragh on the Inishowen Peninsula was fired for the first time in 70 years.The Browning .303 Machine Gun was made up of pieces of six different guns recovered.The Army Press office has kind given Donegaldaily.com exclusive access to pictures taken on the day.
Most parts don’t have serial numbers and can’t be traced, he said. The Integra was replaced by the RSX in the 2002 model year, but that model doesn’t show up in the top 25. Acura realized the theft problem and built more deterrent systems into the RSX, said Mike Spencer, an Acura spokesman. The RSX will not start without the key, which has a computer chip in it that the ignition system must recognize, Spencer said. In Los Angeles, there’s a huge market for older-model Honda and Toyota parts because the vehicles are reliable and stay on the road for many years, Koven said. To compile its list, CCC first gathers data on vehicles that are stolen but not recovered, or are stripped to the point of being a total loss. Then it compares that list to vehicle registration data and calculates a percentage. As a result, many niche models make the list because they are popular with thieves. For example, although the 2001 BMW M-Series Roadster topped the list, only 5,000 of those models were registered nationwide. Other limited-edition, high-performance specialty models such as the 2002 Audi S4 and the 2004 Mercury Marauder also made the top 10, as did the 2000 Jaguar XJR luxury car. Despite high gas prices, several high-end luxury sport utility vehicles also made it into the top 25, O’Brien said. A Cadillac Escalade’s wheels and tires alone are worth $10,000, and even the 2002 model, which ranked No. 18 on the list, still sells for around $48,000, O’Brien said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! DETROIT – Small cars that can be chopped into parts and sold for use by street racers dominated the list of the most-stolen autos in the U.S. last year, but high-priced cars and expensive sport utility vehicles also ranked high, according to a report released Tuesday. Leading the way was the 2001 BMW M-Series Roadster, which was stolen at a rate of one for every 200 on the road, according to the Chicago-based CCC Information Services Inc., an industry group that tracks theft and vehicle damage. Six of the top 10 most-stolen cars were models of the Acura Integra, which has a powerful engine that easily can be swapped into a lighter Honda Civic, making it a quick street racer, said Jeanene O’Brien, who analyzes the data for CCC. The Acura models in the top 10 are from the mid-to-late 1990s through 2001. O’Brien said the 2004 and 2005 Suzuki Aerio, another small car with a powerful engine, appeared in the No. 11 and 12 slots almost from nowhere. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhy these photogenic dumplings are popping up in Los Angeles“That’s where you see the whole tuner illegal street racing thing coming out,” she said. “We saw a big spike in it last year. There’s been further movement this year.” Such thefts are mainly in coastal states where illegal street racing is more popular, O’Brien said. The resale value of the parts is often far more than the value of the car as a whole, she said. Thieves are grinding serial numbers off the Acura’s double-overhead-cam engines and dropping them into Hondas, said Lou Koven, a detective with the Los Angeles Police Department’s commercial auto theft division. The racers run their cars hard until the parts fail, then steal Acuras for replacement parts, Koven said. “They’re easy to steal, they’re plentiful, and it’s a lot cheaper than going out and buying the parts,” he said.
14 February 2014 South Africa aims to increase the number of people on its state antiretroviral (ARV) treatment programme to at least 4.6-million people over the next five years, says President Jacob Zuma. Delivering his State of the Nation address to Parliament in Cape Town on Thursday, Zuma said said the turnaround in the South Africa’s HIV/Aids programme – now being used as a model by the United Nations Aids Programme (UNAids) – was one the country’s biggest achievements over the past five years. There had been a sharp decline in the rate of mother-to-child transmission of HIV, while the number of South Africans receiving free anti-retroviral treatment had grown from one-million in 2009 to 2.4-million people in 2013. More than 20-million South Africans have been voluntarily tested for HIV since the launch of the government’s HIV counselling and testing programme in 2010. “Life expectancy is now firmly on an upward trend. South Africans are now living longer,” Zuma said, adding: “While celebrating our success, we must not be complacent. The prevention work must still continue so that we can reach that goal of zero HIV infections sooner.” The President noted that the country would soon enter a new phase in the implementation of the National Health Insurance programme, which will extend quality healthcare to the poor. Other health care improvements over the past five years include the construction of 300 new health facilities, including 160 new clinics. “Ten new hospitals have been built or refurbished in Ladybrand, Germiston, Mamelodi, Natalspruit, eThekwini, Zola, Bojanala, Vryburg District, Swartruggens, Khayelitsha and Mitchell’s Plain,” Zuma said. Source: SAnews.gov.za